But that shouldn't stop the rest of us making the most of Sea Week at the beach - or at home.
Here are some things to do in Sea Week:
- visit the rock pools
- watch Keeping it Pure: Episode 5: The sea again
- pick up plastics from the beach, again and again and again...
- share At the Beach: explore and discover the NZ seashore with children and grandchildren, to get them thinking about beach ecosystems
- have a beach treasure hunt
- join the Marine Metre Squared project
- read Dolphins of Aotearoa by Raewyn Peart
- join Forest and Bird or the Kiwi Conservation Club - not just about forests or birds, but 'protecting our native plants, animals and wild places, on land and in our oceans'